Re: Re: Javelin throwing; affinities/feats

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:01:37 +0100

>(you said W3, I said 3W, you did notice that, didn't you?).

Ah, I thought you'd mis-typed and were intending to say "3 masteries". My appologies. And yes, some of us foresaw this confusion this time last year. I think I might take to using "3w1" in situations like the above. You're right, once you are past 1w1, chance of failure on simple contests or against default resistance can be ignored, but I don't see any reason to hike the penalties in order to make a few more low-level-journeymen have difficulties with improvised feats. Against similar level resistance, however, -3 is as bad as it ever was. You might as well say that the difficulty should be -10, because once you are beyond 5w1, -5 is insignificant.

On re-reading the rules last night, I realised that the ONLY difference between listed feats and improvised feats is that starting characters taking "devotee" get the listed ones at full chance for free. That's it - an initiate or devotee can make up any feat they like, the listed ones are just examples. If you don't like "Sunset Leap", then ignore it, it's not like it's compulsory - players should be encouraged to make up their own feats.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.