Re: Availability of Healing; Associate Cults...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:52:50 -0000

Well in RQ you were completely stuffed without plenty of healing Magic, to an extent that you shouldn't be in HW. I think in the "Big Picture" HW probably assumes that you still have healing Battle Magic, and are able to cast it after the fight (see Mike, that's why you don't know how badly hurt you are until the end of the combat, - it's only after you've used up all your healing that you know...). Those instances when you need to rely on Chalana Arroy/Bevara/Xiola Umbar or whoever are those times when your battle magic just won't be enough...

> Secondly, Associate Cults - do they still exist? Frex, Chalana
> Arroy providing Healing Trance (or whatever, I forget!) to Orlanth,
> or Orlanth providing Telekinesis (RQ again, sorry) to Issaries,
> were useful developments of the cults. Now we seem to have the
> idea of the Pantheon, where as far as I can see you can attempt to
> improvise Feats belonging to deities you're not even initiated to.
> How far does this go (the Rules show a Humakti calling upon Urox
> when the house collapses on him, frex) - or am I missing something?

I probably need to re-read the rules to check up on this, but I don't think you can improvise feats unless you have the appropriate affinity, which you can only get by initiating to the god. What I think you can do is learn individual feats from an associated god, and this is, I think, the way these Associated Cults are represented. Whether the RQ spells are the only ones that can be learned this way (so you would limit what feats can be learned by whom) or merely the "most common" ones is probably a matter for individual GM's (or possibly discussion on the "Herowars" list, it being more a Gloranthan meta-issue than a rules one?)