From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:04:13 +0100

> From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Simple vs Extended
>
>Phil Hibbs:
>>
>> I agree, I use simple contests only where the outcome of the scenario
>> doesn't depend on the die roll.
>
>I think that whether the outcome of the scenario depends on
>the contest or not isn't necessarily the best criterion for
>deciding which contest type to use. No matter how important

It is probably best viewed as a necessary rather than sufficient criterion.

>the contest is, if it cannot be portrayed as an ongoing
>process, an extended contest makes no sense. Another contest
>which doesn't decide the outcome of the scenario can still
>be dramatically interesting and fun to run as an extended
>contest.

This is a good point. I'd add that Hero Wars also has several ways to make simple contests more interesting. Preparation for the contest can often be portrayed as an extended contest or sequences of lined simple contests (or even role-play). Rituals are probably the best example of this.

Thom