Re: Magicians

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:47:47 -0400

> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:14:35 -0000
> From: "Charles Corrigan" <glorantha_at_...>
> Subject: Definition of "Magician"
>
> In several places in the players book, narrators book and Anaxial's
> Record, there are references to Magicians being able to recognise,
> say, the difference between a spirit, daimone and essence.
>
> 1 - What is a "Magician"?
>
> 2 - What skill would they use to recognise the difference? (OK,
> Symbolic Sight for sorcerors & wizards).
>
> as always I appreciate the feedback!
>
> regards,
> Charles

I generally regard anyone with an occupation keyword that involves working with magic as a major part of their day-to-day existence as a 'magician'

These would include (but not be limited to):

Theists:
God-talkers, Priests, possibly sages, devotees of *some* cults highly concerned with magic, any damimoine.

Animists:
Holy People, Sacred Chiefs, Shamen & their helpers, any intelligent spirit would at least recognize something from its world(takes one to know one)

Sorcerers:
Liturgists, Sorcerers, Magi (call them what you will), possibly inquistor types and any Construct/Essence will know the difference between its kind and 'otherkinds'

Any PC who has at least the affinities to cover one of the above magical keywords -- For example, if Joe Weaponthane of Humakt has been picking up the God-Talker skills on the side to better serve the Sharp Death in his community (or just out in the field), I would count him as a magician if he had all the abilties referenced in the keyword.

Telling the differnece between the various elemental-spirit-damione critter sets is trival, if you know what o look for. So I'm willing to let it happen if you've got the keyword. That means I can say 'its a damoine' or 'its not a damoine its something else' and get back to the game without tossing dice.

Besides, Magicians are pretty common in Glorantha and the definition is rather broad. Many or most PC's would fall under it, even if they didn't want to and is often (at least in my game, a term of derision 'two bit magician' being a common insult.

Now, to be called a *big-time* magician, that takes being a Priest/Sorcerer/Shaman. That's something to be frightened of.

Which would you rather face? Goblin and One-Eye or The Ten Who Were Taken? Its not the magician that's the important part, is the power...

Hope this helps,

Jeff "I read too much Black Company" Kyer