Re: Illusions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:15:52 +0100

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:17:16 -0400, Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>A few questions, to which I don't have good answers ...

I'm answering with respect to my own illusion rules, detailed under the thread 'Donadar Revisited'...

>Can a caster create an illusion which will appear real to someone using
>senses the caster doesn't have? for example, a human creating an illusion
>which will appear real to Darksense.

It will certainly be detectable, Gloranthan Illusions are 'Temporary Reality', so create an illusory man, and he's 'real' while the illusion lasts, to all senses. However, I'd reduce resistance (to detecting the illusory origin of the man) by 3 or 5 in this case. However, just knowing he's an illusion will NOT stop that illusion from using it's Close Combat 10W on the troll!

>Can an illusion be 'programmed'? In the RQ rules, I ran it that any
>movement or change in an illusion required active control by the caster.

Mine can. That's why you must define the abilities of the illusion. Tell it to use it's Close Combat, and it'll do so as well as, and as inventively, as a 'real' man of the same ability, until told otherwise. It's not a man, it's a Close Combat illusion, which the illusionist has created in the form of a man. Better yet, give it Hunt Small Game 2W, and it'll catch supper.

>An old chestnut, I've never seen any rules that have a good answer: does an
>illusion of a light source cast light on its surroundings?

Mine certainly do. You can even make it Illuminate Intruder 19 (although you'd better define 'Illuminate' in this instance...).

Additional: As suggested by Andrew Graham, my illusions require AP on casting equal to the rating. So that Tiger 19(Claw & Bite^0, Leap, Large, Tough) costs 19 AP. Depending on circumstances, the illusionist might well get her AP reset before anything more happens.

Wulf