Re: Digest Number 297

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 22:06:37 -0000

> Yes, I've been working out some more examples for myself, and I
agree
> some limits, penalties and added difficulties are needed to prevent
> abuse. making it a Difficult (D+10) feat is easy, but it makes
almost

I would think that putting it into an affinity with the 'sight, sound,
blah-blah' feats would be boring.

> any illusion too difficult to make realistic, even whispers in the
> dark. Likewise, splitting the Rating between abilities on the
Multiple

I would put the difficulty according to how *much* reality you were creating. A whisper is a 14 but a shout... that's more difficult. Making a body... oh, that's a toughie.

> Targets roll appeals, but makes complex illusions too difficult, and
> doesn't prevent excessive simple illusions. I can think of lots of
> rules-mechanic rules based on some numeric limits, but these aren't
HW
> in style.

I would think that using special feats would be a better, more fun approach Illusions (Whispers in the Night, Screams, Indistinct Treasonous Mutterings, Tiger) and putting improvised penalties into place is good as well as putting the aprporiate complex illusions in as well however, the more complex the illusion, the higher the difficulty.

> A simple restriction would be that every ability must be learned as
> separate feat from a separate teacher, like the Trickster Rune
Spells

That works well. I actually prefer this method -- if illusions were easy, everyone would be doing them.

The Tiger would be something like what is in Anaxial but there'd be problems -- the restistance might be that critter's best trait.

> in RQ. Not a limit on USING illusions, but the Narrator could limit
> WHICH illusions are available. These feats could be specific (like
> Subdued Lighting), or general (like Tiger - allowing any ability the
> narrator agrees a tiger would have).
>
> Wulf

Hope this helps. Sorry for sounding huffy earlier.

Jeff