Re: armor values

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 02:43:42 -0000

> Having recently secured Anaxial's Roster I must say it
> is quite well edited and in general put together
> compared to previous HW books.

Yep. The newer books should be to this standard, from what I know. I
just hope that the older books will be re-done with this in mind.

> I do have one question regarding armor numbers. IMO
> the edges given for most creatures armor seem low
> and/or out of porportion. I wonder what other who play
> with edges/handicaps think?

Not really. Most of the critters are not battle oriented. I supppose
that if you disagree with them, then raise them.

But remember that leather armor is what most of the critters are wearing... in various forms.

> For example dragon scales are ^9, but human plate and
> shield is ^5--so are dragon scales not even x2 as
> strong? Hmmm. I would think a 3 to 1 ratio would be a
> bit more realistic. I also noticed krarschtkid chitin
> is rated as a ^5--same as plate and shiled? Hmmmm. My
> other concern was the changes in troll skin
> armor--dark do not have any, and great trolls ^1.

Um, realism is not really the point in case. I use edges and armour in my game and I find that the material

If you look at the pictures of the trolls, they don't seem to be the great leathery things of yore. Remember, armor values have been compressed. Back in 'the good old days' chainmail provided 8 armour (plus 12 more if you had a shield) Now, that was 20 points of armour.
 In the old game, a dragon had how much armour? 16? Thats less than chain and shield. The compression of scale sort of renders a troll's armor of 1 down to very little indeed.

And now chain and shield provides a 5... Whereas we have a dragon getting 9. I think that's a change.

> For those of you who like the added detail of weapons
> and armor, vs those content to imagine through AP
> bids, I would like your feedback.
>
> Thanks.

We use weapons and armour to modify AP bids.

Jeff Kyer