Re: Illusionary Abilities

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:24:59 +0100

>I know HW is supposed to be high-powered, but I just can't see
>any mortal magician routinely using creation magic on that scale.

One way of restricting it would be to make the creation of an illusionary ability a specific feat. These feats would be difficult to acquire, because a given temple or shrine is only going to have a limited selection available, just like Trickster spells used to be. You could also restrain it further by requiring, for example, Illusions vs Hunt, *and* Hunt vs Hunt. For example:

Ikabod has Illusions 10w, and Hunt 20. He wants to create a Phantom Hunter, with Hunt 17. First, he must create a Phantom Person, pitting his Illusions ability against the default resistance of 14. He must then defeat a resistance of 17 with his Illusions ability, and then a resistance of 17 with his Hunt. If the first contest fails, no illusion is created. If the second is failed, the illusion is there, but has no ability. If the third fails, then the illusion will go off to try and hunt, but will always fumble.

He has an overall 18% chance of success in simple contests, if he spends no Hero Points. No character is going to be able to create illusions that are within a level of mastery of their own ability as a matter of course. If both abilities are 20w1, then he can create a 20 ability illusion with a 75% chance. Knock his Hunt down to 10w and it's down to 48% chance. If you want to make it harder, then add a cummulative penalty for each stacked Illusion after the first, or roll them all into one using the multiple targets rules.

For added amusement and persecution, the narrator may wish to make the final roll (character's skill vs desired skill) as a simple contest, asking the player if they would use a Hero Point to make it work, and revealing whether or not they used the Hero Point when it becomes apparent whether or not it worked.

In addition, the illusion needs enough duration to perform the task, which affects both uses of the illusion ability.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.