Illusions

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:35:12 -0400

This from a certain Mr Stafford:

Hi Andrew;
This was sent to me, I answer you directly. Perhaps you can forward this to the list.

>Subject: Illusions

>A few questions, to which I don't have good answers ...

>Can a caster create an illusion which will appear real to someone using
>senses the caster doesn't have? for example, a human creating an illusion
>which will appear real to Darksense.

OK, you seem to be making the first error here, which is to mistake the word "illusion" (an artifact usage) which menas something that doesn't exist; for Glamour, itself usually badly translated as "illusion." *sigh* Glamour creates a temporary reality. It doesn't make something which isn't there.
The caster of this would not be making something to confoudn or to be sensed by darksense, he would be making something. Something real, concrete or whatever. If he wanted to make somethign that was visible but insubstantial he would use a specific type of Glamour, like Vision Glamour. But the pictures would have to be there.

>Can an illusion be 'programmed'? In the RQ rules, I ran it that any
>movement or change in an illusion required active control by the caster.
>This makes rules sense, but doesn't fit the way illusion is normally used
>in stories.

Gloranthan illusions would depend upon what they were to see whether they require control or not.
If you made an illusory owl and crw they cold just fly away, pounce on mice, etc.
If you wanted to MAKE it do something you'd have to control it with you attention.
If you wanted to make somethig that was unnatural (like a vison without apparant substance) then it would also require control to "leep it real."

>An old chestnut, I've never seen any rules that have a good answer: does
an
>illusion of a light source cast light on its surroundings?
Yes, of course it does, since it is a real (but temporary) light.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>