Re: 2 more questions

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:12:36 -0000

Sigh. Lets try this again. (mutters darkly about cats and keyboars)

> Couple other ponderings...
>
> 1) Any attempts to standardize environmental
> conditions on combact or physical skills? SOme
> material have total darkness at -20 to ability rating.
> What about fighting from the ground? What about heavy
> brush? Confined spaces? Could old RQ % values be
> divided by 20? (Only those with interest or bias
> 'realism'need reply)

I think its not really something readily quantified. Such modifiers are situational and are pretty much dependant on a mxiture of *what* the enviroment is and what the hero is trying to do. It is mostly up to the individual GM. I fear that here the YGMV credo applies with a vengance.

But just remember this rule of thumb: If its pretty much impossible for a normal, skilled person (20 skill) to do something, then a -14 penalty reduces them down to the 'default.' A -20 gives him (or her) no chance what-so-ever to succeed even if there's no resistance.

And work on that basis.

Oh, dividing the RQ values doesn't really work that well from my own experience. I would strongly suggest deriving something something from scratch rather than trying to replicate RQ verbatim in the guise of HW -- I am finding the differences in the world to be more subtle than something like this.

Using the difficulties from the resistance chart (which gives things like climbing Kero Fin) is a good place to start to work out what might generate your difficulty penalties.

Realism *is* fine, but I think it should be done within its own framework, rather than importing soemthing that won't fit.

> 2) Any examples of sorcerer keyword or narratives? Any
> thoughts on grimoires for Rokari or other Western
> churches?

Not yet. But its pretty easy to extrapolate them from the Black Horse keywords.

Jeff