Subject: Extended Contest for debate

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:13:37 +0100

> From: Tadaaki Kakegawa <yelmalio_at_...-net.ne.jp>
>Subject: Extended Contest for debate
>
> Hello everyone,
> Thank you for suggesting my previous Flaws question. It really helps!
>
> I will run a scenario(which originally RQ scenario) next weekend. At
> end of scenario persuading one person out of suicide is planed to climax.
> I would like to solve it by Extended Contest, but I don't have good
> idea making it exciting one.
>
> One solution would be extended contest of "Willing to suicide (5W)" vs.
> heroes' debate abilities, but I don't have any idea how to handle it.
>
> And what should be edge, penalty, modifier, etc. in these situation?

I've used extended contests for a legal dispute and for an important bargaining session. For a first attempt my advice is:

  1. keep it simple - avoid modifiers and edges where possible.
  2. work out a two or three sample descriptions of outcomes from small, medium and large AP losses before hand (you may not use them, but it will give you a feel for how to describe them in real time)
  3. feel free to give bonuses for insightful/well roleplayed AP bids

A sample round might go like this:

Player Hero: "Think of your family - they'd be so unhappy without you" 5 AP bid (outcome: attacker loses x1)
Narrator: "... but look at me - I'm a burden on them ..." he replies, even more depressed than before.

The suicidee need not bid if it makes things simpler.

In my games these sessions went quite well without use of edges (some augments were used for bargaining etc.). After a few rounds the players got quite into describing their bids, which made my life much easier.

Thom