Re: Zorak Zoran Draft Write-up

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:51:42 -0000

> >Incidentally, Ian, I'd like to hear your thoughts on ZZ being
> >animist: do you mean _exclusively_ animist (ie he's a Great Spirit
> >and only worshipped as one),
>
> I'm not sure he meant this. The description of Kyger Litor
> on p24 of the NB implies that troll gods can be worshipped as
> spirits, deities etc.

The description of Animists using Ecstatic Worship, as opposed to sacrifice certainly fits Trolls, Drumming & Drinking themselves into a frenzy - That said, we have already been told that Kygor Lytor is an exception as she is both a Great Spirit and a God, and I see no reason to suspect that Zorak Zoran is not a similar case. (Isn't Cragspider worshipped as a Hero cult? Can you have a Hero Cult of a Spirit?

Of the other "major" Troll cults that I can recall of the top of my head, Gorakkiki, Aranea and Zong are probably all Spirit Cults, while Xiola Umbar joins KL and ZZ in the "Demon from the deepest darkest hells that works both ways..."

Not sure about Argan Argar - He is the 'God' of Surface Darkness as I recall, so the same exception may not apply... Maybe he is/was a nontroll  darkness deity that was adopted into the tribe when they migrated from Wonderhome. He might be purely theistic even?

Reviewing the above leads me to the strange conclusion that Troll Gods with a single name are Spirits while those with two names are both "GODS" and "Spirits" - am I becoming a God Learner?