From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:57:07 +0100

> From: "Graham, Andrew" <agraham_at_...>
>In hero wars it appears to be difficult to flee when you find your self on
>the verge of being defeated. This is because you don't change your ap when
>you decide to flee. My solution to what I see to be a difficulty is to allow
>you to run away and be defeated at the same time. So it all comes down to
>what the stated objectives of the winners is how hard it is to escape.

Yes, though running away is fairly easy if you have close combat 15 and run 15W! Where running is tricky is if you decide to run away after losing loads of AP (which makes sense). In the hound tower initial combat two of the dog-men got away. They ran after seeing how badly their mates were getting beaten by the two warriors.

You can make running away easier by applying penalties to close combat used to stop them escaping (first attack no penalty and then -3 per turn or based on successful bids by the escapees).

>If the winners have chosen to try and capture there opponents then even
>Dazed is enough to capture there foe.

Yes.

>If they chose to drive off there opponents then anything other than complete
>success from the winners allows fleeing opponents to escape to lick there
>wounds.

Yes. There could be a role for an incentive here. Perhaps a handicap or penalty to attacjing someone who has the goal of driving you off?

>If the victors had chosen to kill as many of the opponents as possible then
>only the losers who are dazed or survive a cop-de-whack [Glasgow version]
>get away.
>
>If none of the above applies then those who are dazed or hurt get way to
>fight another day. The injured and dying being captured.

Give people the option of letting them flee too. In a close fight it often makes sense to just let your opponents run.

Thom