Re: The Noble Art of Running Away

From: rexabean_at_...
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

G'day all,

Benedict makes a good case for his house rule (see below), EXCEPT that Ngg will go first in the second round (since he still has 22 AP) and probably hurt Ken before he can run away e.g. bid 10 AP and get a success vs. a fail for Ken, who is now below 0AP and can only try for a last action if he has Tough or Ignore Pain.

I have had this problem with my NPC's as a GM. By the time they realise that things are going badly and it is time to flee the PC's are all going first and wipe most of them out to dazed or below (then coup de grace) before the NPC's get their turn to go and try and run away.

Perhaps Andrew Graham's suggestion of dazed/hurt still being able to intiate a running away contest is a good suggestion (with reset AP's). After all if the PC's lose to a bunch of chaos fiends I can imagine they would want the option of running away.

Cheers, Andrew

Benedict Adamson >>>
Ken fights Ngg for a round, with the consequence that he is reduced to 6 AP and Ngg is at 22 AP. Ken decides to change his objective to running aware. The Narrator decides that Ngg can not use its Bite to counter an attempt to run aware, Ngg must switch to its poor running ability.

Ken: 6 AP, flee Ngg, with Run fast 9, against Run fast 6. Ngg: 22 AP, kill Ken, with Bite 2W, against Spear&Shield 13.

When Ngg is the actor, the abilities, ratings and odds are as before: Ken is likely to loose APs. But when Ken is the actor, the odds are in his favour, and Ngg is likely to loose APs. Ken will flee if his 9 v 6 actions are more successful than Ngg's 2W v 13 actions. Ken now has more of a chance; with a HP and a bold bid, he can escape (isn't that what HP's are for?).

Message sent by MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au/