Re: Sorcery Question; items in narrative

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:45:27 -0700

Tim

> One final point - There is no penalty for failing in a blessing, unlike
> attempting to augment from an affinity or feat

Wouldn't they have the same penalties you get from failing to cast a feat? (Narrator-determined to be sure.)

To be picky: you don't augment from an affinity. You must use a specific feat (which of course you can improvise from an affinity).

Bryan asked

> In my case I did intend for it to be special. So
> during play if I come up with a creative feat or
> ability then I can cement it in afterwords with an HP,
> correct? I can even come up with ideas between
> scenarios--it just would cost x2?

I hadn't thought of using items that way (in particular because I think they should be increased at 1 : 1 rather than more costly like an affinity), but that makes sense. In my case, I could have written "Holds 20 men" under Snapper (the boat). I always figured it was OK to improvise -- I wasn't going to complain if next time it could only hold 16 (after all they might have more gear, or Snapper wasn't in as good a mood). Plus adding the point to the overall rating meant that Snapper could be faster next time.

But if the player really wants to preserve the exact effect of an item, it would make sense to spend a point.

Adding new features would definitely require narrator approval in my game -- I think it would be unreasonable for me to have written "Travels safely underwater" even for 2 HP.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein