Re: Animist Question

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:15:40 -0700

> Question: Can a shaman summon a spirit without a fetish if s/he wants
to use
> that spirit immediately? An example would be a sending, I want to burn
the
> neighbour's crops and summon a fire spirit, instead of binding it I
command it to
> burn the field.

Yes. The fetish is the way to embody the spirit in the Inner Worldso that it can be used later (a spirit battery, if you wish).

It does help to have a "body" for the spirit to inhabit in the Inner world (a nice bonfire for your fire spirit, for example), but probably not strictly necessary (but then the spirit definitely suffers the Alien World mod for being in the wrong place).

 > Taking this to another level, could a shaman summon many spirits, with no fetish,
> if he is using them immediately? An example would be for a battle. The
shaman
> spends the night summoning spirits and sends them at the enemy line in the
> morning. Or, he spends the night summoning spirits and sending them at
the enemy's
> camp harrying them all night.

Harry them all night, as they are summoned. Think of it as getting 1 unconditional command per un-fetished spirit. "Wait here until I send you against the enemy" is a command, but then once they've waited, they have finished their chore, and go away.

Now, if you want to allow additional orders based on level of victory, I won't stop you, but I haven't worked on it either.

> If the "in the morning" part requires a fetish for each spirit, and the
shaman
> only wants it to be one use I would assume that no hero points are
required;
> comments?

If he's doing it during play, I'd probably allow him to do it without HP cost. If I stopped the game saying "Okay, next time we'll game out the upcoming battle" and he comes back next week saying "oh yeah, I summon up 100 spirits to use in the battle" then I'd hit him with a nice big HP penalty (outside of play, no rolls, catching me off-guard :-))

RR