Re Running Away and resetting

From: rexabean_at_...
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

G'day all,

Wulfis quite correct that the rules do not allow AP's to reset. But my players are all old RQers and only kill their opponents (true they have all been Darkness worshipping monsters from the Narrator's Book scenarios).

But to consider the reverse case of Chaos Fiends getting the upper hand on the PC's if we don't allow AP's to reset to the running skill the winning monsters will have the higher AP's and get to go first and kill/capture.

Alternatively as a Narrator I believe my NPC's should have a chance to run away, rather than automatically dying like dogs/(hounds?) every time. This is more realistic to me than being stuck in the old RQ paradigm of death is the only possible result of combat.

[Yes PC's and major NPC's have hero points for this sort of thing, and maybe the Chaos fiends would prefer to capture the PC's for sacrifice, thus allowing them the option to escape, but this means I have to make up excuses for saving their arse]. Also it tends to mean that no one will ever get away unless they have a Hero Point and are faster than the opponent. Even if they decide to flee the combat for a sensible reason.

Andrew