Re: Animist Question

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 00:17:41 -0400

I have a problem/questions about this "summoning" of spirits. The way I read the rules, the shaman must embody the spirit into something appropriate such as a prepared fetish. I can see a fire as being an appropriate thing to embody a fire spirit in, but I think that the shaman must open a way to the Spirit World in order to interact with spirits. Then the shaman needs to initiate some sort of contest with the spirit in order to bind it into something or to a set number of tasks. (I don't see anything wrong with a tradition that summons spirits, but I think that this is a special case like Cast Out of Body on HW:RiG p. 207.)[1]

An alternative for the shaman is to deal with the spirit that is already inhabiting the fire (if it's an animist fire). He can use his tradition knowledge, relationships, etc. to convince it to help him. Fire spirits, due to what I see as a transitory existence in the Inner World, would probably be more inclined to help a shaman (though I think that the fire may go out as the shaman moves the spirit to a new local). Tree spirits, on the other hand, would be less likely to help (hurt to the tree spirit hurts the tree, which is a more permanent type of spirit abode).

[1] This prepared fetish/abode thing also cuts down on the "I summon 100 fire spirits between game sessions" problem. A fire with 100 flame spirits should be pretty noticeable to the future victims and a shaman with 100 prepared fire spirit fetishes is telegraphing this kind of tactic.

Thanks,
Andy