Subject: Re: Re: items in narrative

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:04:00 -0000

I agree - anything that happens "in play" - ie with the knowledge of the GM is pretty much related - even if it has very little to do with the adventure in hand - because it is "in play" the GM has the opportunity to veto or improvise, or spin new plot off your decision. "Out of play" gives them much less scope for doing the same.

Eg1. You are trying to investigate the causes of the grain vanishing. One player decides to follow a diffent line of enquiry, and asks to research Brithini Iron Statues instead. Either tell them there is no information on that subject here, or allow them to find Termatain's seminal work on the subject, and take a "related" increase at the end of the game - 'paid for' by the fact they have not done anything towards achieveing the objectives (and thus will likely have less HP to spend anyway - TINSTAAFL!)

Eg2. Your parties Shaman decides to summon up Fire Spirits to use in the forthcoming battle. Doing so "in play" allows you to 'control' the level of threat this provides by sending a skirmish party to disrupt the ritual, or having them encounter something dangerous that will encourage them to return from the spirit world, ensuring that your climactic combat scene still provides a challenge. You don't need to charge any HP for the temporary fetishes the spirits reside in before they are unleashed. If, on the other hand, they arrive at the next session and announces "During the night I had time to summon up 100 fire spirits, which I am now going to unleash on the enemy", then as Roderick suggests, it is time to start demanding the appropriate "unrelated" cost is paid