Weapon rank question

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:43:25 +0200

        Hi all!

        A player of mine, whose character is equipped with an iron greatsword, asked me if the weapon's rank can be used in defense, that is: subtracted from the actor's weapon rank to determine a net edge/handicap.

        According to (my reading of) the rules the answer seems to be no. Though it'd make sense IMO: if a handicap is an increase of the risk it entails to achieve something, then certainly attacking someone armed with a better, longer, scarier (i.e., with an higher rank) weapon is a handicap.

        I've experienced this directly when sparring, BTW. Usually the person who has the longer legs can keep his foe from attacking him, because the latter would have to move into kicking range (sorry, I couldn't find a better way to phrase it) to make contact. It's a psychological handicap as much as a physical one.

        Anyway I'd like to know your opinions, even though I'm on the verge of dropping the rank rule and just give straight edges to superior/magical equipment. As usual, thanks in advance for the answers.

--
Regards,
Alexandre.