Re: Re: sloppy work in the Narrator's book

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:30:37 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, JEFFREY KYER wrote:

> > And now some more of the same.
> >
> > What's the beef with the Shadow Cat statistics?
> >
> > These cat's are supposed to be like lynx deluxe. (not very similar,
> but
> > as big or bigger)
>
> Ah, no. They get as big as a lynx, as I recall from the old writeups
> of shadowcats "ranging in size from a housecat to a lynx."

Housecat to panther. RQ 2.

> > They are incredibly fast (RQ Dex 19), very magical (RQ POW 19) and
> > notoriously hard to hit.
> >
> > Yet in the HW statistics we have Claw and Bite fighting 12^1, dodge
> 15,
> > resist magic 18.
>
> Yep. Sorry, they aren't the pocket berserker kitty cats of yore.
> I'm not too worried

Strange. In the olden days a warrior orlanthi could have his sacred cat along in the thick and thin. Now they seem to be more like rather hissy housecats.

> > There's about a mastery each missing from their statistics!
>
> So take it as a follower or an ally and its got stats related to the
> size of its hero.

The problem isn't my game especially. I just want to know why they've been so devaluated.

> The stats in the book are for the run-of-the-mill shadowcat. The
> sort
> that you can find around any Heortling village.

A sacred creature. Kin to orlanth.

> > In the real world the European Lynx is specialized to bring down
> deer,
>
> Not quite.

No? I've recently passed my "game (animal) biology" course, and we had quite a bit of material on lynxes, them being a pet subject of the professor. I can check the spesific deer for you when I find my notes.

> > quite large deer, that they kill with a single bite (the lynxes
> canines
>
> Not quite. They go for the smaller roe deer, at best and at most.
> Not something like the Red or Fallow deer.

Do you know that our blasted caribou hearders up north (the Lapps) want to kill off all the lynxes because they kill their mealtickets. The actual damage is small of course, since we have someting like 60 lynxes here :( but the ancient prejudices are hard to break.   The caribou is a rather large deer, wouldn't you think.

> > go between the deers vertebra). One would think that the lynx size
> > (magical!) shadow cat would be able to do the same, but let's look
> at
> > the numbers...
>
> And I would point out that they ARE about as good a fighter as Joe
> Heortling. The various specialized breeds gain the specialized
> skills
> as well.

I would not bet on Joe Cottar in a fight with a lynx, more so with a Shadow Cat if he didn't have weapons and armor. Would you want to face a 40kg lynx with a knife?

> > Shadow Cat: Claw & Bite 12^1 Dodge 15 (small 10)
> > Run fast 15
> >
> > Deer: Antler fighting 10^2 Dodge 15 (large 10)
> > Run fast 18
> >

> > It sure looks like the kitty will go hungry tonight.
>
> Ambush.
>
> Jeff

Ambush => Leap... Die Deer! => Bet big => about 50% of the time the cat is the one that get's creamed.

        -Adept