Re: Re: sloppy work in the Narrator's book

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:50:06 +0100

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:30:37 +0300 (EET DST), Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_utu.fi> wrote:

>> Yep. Sorry, they aren't the pocket berserker kitty cats of yore.
>> I'm not too worried
>
>Strange. In the olden days a warrior orlanthi could have his sacred cat
>along in the thick and thin. Now they seem to be more like rather hissy
>housecats.

he still can, it'll be a Follower, so it's abilities will be tied to his, higher to MUCH higher than average.

>> And I would point out that they ARE about as good a fighter as Joe
>> Heortling. The various specialized breeds gain the specialized
>> skills
>> as well.
>
>I would not bet on Joe Cottar in a fight with a lynx, more so with a
>Shadow Cat if he didn't have weapons and armor. Would you want to face a
>40kg lynx with a knife?

Yes, I don't like the weapons/armour ratings either. But the abilities work out fine, Close Combat 12 (average heortling) vs. Claw & Bite 12 puss. So in the game they're equal.

>> Ambush.

>Ambush => Leap... Die Deer! => Bet big => about 50% of the time the cat
>is the one that get's creamed.

You're doing your Ambushes wrong... puss augments Ambush 18 with Cunning 15 and Move Silently 2W. Deer resists with Scent Predator 2W or Scan for Danger 18 (or augments one with the other). Continue until one or other runs out of AP. If the pussy runs out, the deer spots/scents him, and runs. But if the deer runs out (or even goes negative), puss gets to attack. A good puss will drive the deer to -21 or more in the sneaking stage, leaving the deer with halved defences for it's one single attack, which only has to reduce bambi by 10 AP. How often would it work? Half the time or less, just like real life.

Wulf