Re: Weapon Rank question

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:17:25 +0200

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> I'd keep the ranks. HW has precious little detail as it is.

        Mmh... IMHO HW has just how much detail you want it to have. OK, the system doesn't quite help you, but neither does it hamper you (like D&D does). One could say that games who take care of 10 seconds of action with a simple roll are actually less detailed. If you want, you could play a HW fight blow by blow (or debate sentence by sentence, or a flirt kiss by kiss, or a... ehm...)! ;)

        So for me it's not a question of detail, but more a question of

  1. Bookkeeping: in the heat of the moment I usually forget about ranks.
  2. Flexibility: if acting with a sword gives such a clear advantage, the player won't bother trying all the other nifty maneuvers that the AP system lets his character perform (such as jumping on a table, throwing sand in the opponent's eyes, retreating up the stairs and so on). And after a while he will run out of interesting descriptions, especially if he has never used a broadsword. After all, how many interesting ways there are to slice someone?

        At least this is my experience, maybe for you and your group it's different...

--
Regards,
Alexandre.