Re: Subject: Re: Re: items in narrative

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:44:09 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Thom Baguley wrote:

> OK, but what about cases where the player does things in play that can't be
> vetoed. For example, he takes an axe and shield and practices axe and
> shield fighting. Can he then at the end of the session claim increase in
> close combat, or gain the axe & shield fighting speciality at related cost
> (I'd say no). I don't think that simply doing something in play means the
> same as "related to session". Not a big deal though, each narrator should
> make his own judgement.

The point is that you, as GM, have the ability to say either :

"You practicing is not relevant to the game - do it during down time"

or :

"You get no hero points for this session, 'cos you didn't contribute anything."

Basically, if the player insists his character is practicing while all the others are debating, hunting, fighting, solving mysteries, etc. he gets the practice advantage, but suffers the consequences. His character does NOTHING else for eight hours (or whatever).

Ultimatly, the GM has control over what happens during a session. If he allows it to happen, presumably its because it is interesting, and therefore "related".

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net