Re: Animist Question

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:47:59 -0000

> Ah, the old "create a straw man, shot it down" method of arguing.
Given
> that the original discussion was restricted to spirits that DON'T
suffer
> the alien world modifier, it appears you are creating problems that
don't
> exist.
>
> Or did I miss something?

Well, possibly working from clipped quotes :) The original problem was between Peter's view that the Shamanic Circle was considered mundane (and so spirits called to it for binding were under the -20 Alien World modifier, and stayed that way for use in the fetish), and Roderick's statement in earlier posts that spirits in bodies (including fetishes) did not suffer the Alien World modifier. The two seem incompatible to me and others.

For example, where to ghosts stand (float?): are they disembodied, and the stats given are already at -20? Or 'embodied' in their haunt area, as someone suggested (I like that), and so do not suffer the - 20? Whatever the result, hunting for spirits in the Spirit World gets one hell of a lot less productive if the spirits are at, say, Might 30 when loose on the Spirit Plane, but drop to might 10 when bound! On the opposite side, if they're at might 10 when called to the circle, surely they don't rise to might 30 when bound! Mutually exclusive views, I'd say.

Wulf