Re: Re: Animist Question

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:25:53 +1300

At 11:47 13/10/00 +0000, you wrote:

>The original problem
>was between Peter's view that the Shamanic Circle was considered
>mundane (and so spirits called to it for binding were under the -20
>Alien World modifier, and stayed that way for use in the fetish), and
>Roderick's statement in earlier posts that spirits in bodies
>(including fetishes) did not suffer the Alien World modifier. The two
>seem incompatible to me and others.

Roderick's statement AFAIK applies to spirits in fetishes taken to the spirit plane (insofar as the bound spirits are still in the same plane as they were bound). If it's not the statement that you are referring to, then please provide a pointer to it.

>For example, where to ghosts stand (float?): are they disembodied,
>and the stats given are already at -20?

AR says they are.

>Or 'embodied' in their haunt
>area, as someone suggested (I like that),

There are free-roaming ghosts not tied to any specific locality (cf the tortured dead of Kralorela and the Hungry Ghosts of the Wastes).

>Whatever the result, hunting for spirits in the Spirit World gets
>one hell of a lot less productive if the spirits are at, say, Might
>30 when loose on the Spirit Plane, but drop to might 10 when bound!

But you don't hunt for spirits on the spirit plane, you hunt for them via the shamanic circle.

>On the opposite side, if they're at might 10 when called to the
>circle, surely they don't rise to might 30 when bound! Mutually
>exclusive views, I'd say.

They don't because they are still bound within the mundane world.

--Peter Metcalfe