RE: Practice

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:26:40 +0100

On Friday, October 13, 2000 12:28 PM, Thom Baguley [SMTP:t.s.baguley_at_...] wrote:

> OK, but what about cases where the player does things in play that can't be
> vetoed. For example, he takes an axe and shield and practices axe and
> shield fighting. Can he then at the end of the session claim increase in
> close combat, or gain the axe & shield fighting speciality at related cost
> (I'd say no). I don't think that simply doing something in play means the
> same as "related to session". Not a big deal though, each narrator should
> make his own judgement.

Hi All,

What I've done in this case is to make it part of the game. Sure, the character can get the skill increase/new style, but to do it she has to get an axe and shield, find someone to practice with and actually do it "on camera", with all the expected skill penalties.

This has the obvious risk of being (accidentally, of course) injured by the sparring partner and/or made to look stupid in front of all your friends 'cos you're rubbish at <whatever> fighting.

Much more fun than just saying "you practice" and forgetting about it... :)

Regards,

Bruce