Re: Digest Number 313

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:22:54 -0700

hw-rules_at_egroups.com wrote:

> > But you don't hunt for spirits on the spirit plane, you hunt for
> > them via the shamanic circle.
>
> That's strange. I was pretty certain that the circle was described to
> open a way to the spirit plane for the shaman to step through (and
> return). Doesn't the shaman go looking for the spirits in the spirit
> world. Is it more like fishing by dangling a lure in a small hole
> drilled through the ice?

I agree, that is strange. A shamanic circle, IMO, is a gateway into the spirit realm of your tradition. If you want to deal with spirits from your tradition you should be able to do it from within your circle but spirits outside the tradition won't be anywhere near your circle (unless you a long way from home when you draw your circle). I've always pictured 'summoning' as actually leaving the circle and wandering the spirit realm seeking the spirit you want. Why else would a shaman have spirit world travel?

&#92;&#92;/