Re: Digest Number 314

From: Graham Robinson <gjrobinson_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 08:39:56 +0100

Adept wrote :

> > >But won't ending up at -20AP or less mean something serious for
> > >pussums? In the winter this propably would mean it goes seriously
> > >hungry, but what about summer?
> >
> > Falls under the fleeing deer's hooves, down a cliff, gets half-drowned
> > in a river, finds a bigger, nastier puss stalking the deer that
> > doesn't like amateurs messing up it's dinner, etc. etc. etc. :) maybe
> > it finds that snake...
> >
> > Wulf
>
> Ah, but this is a part of the problem. Hunting deer just isn't that
> dangerous. That's what got me thinking this...

I think part of the problem is viewing hunting as combat. Really, the contest is between the cat's 'get food' and the deer's 'get away'. So the result of a major loss for the cat could mean simply that it has really lost its prey. -20AP might mean that the cat has not only lost that animal, but has scared off all others in the vicinity.

I do in general agree that some of the figures from the Narrators Book seem a bit low...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson