Re: mythical landscape and critters.

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:58:17 -0500

On 10/14/00 at 12:04 AM Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
>Ah yes, but the mythical landscape of DP is pretty much the one found in
>european mythology. My (rather scandinavian) Sartarites would regard a
>rattlesnake as something obviously chaotic and strange.

There have always been a number of non-Scandinavian influences on Glorantha. Up until the publication of G:CotHW, I never really thought of Dragon Pass as specifically Northern European, but more like Mycenaean Greece (given the Bronze Age feel of Glorantha in earlier editions). However, the prevalence of the rather Oriental-seeming Dragons and dragonewts in Dragon Pass has always seemed a curious combination. Similarly, the presence of Chalana Arroy and Lhankor My always seemed rather "advanced" for the Orlanthi; LM's "evolution" into a tribal lawspeaker type makes more sense to me now. The Glorantha mythscape owes much to RW myths, but only on a broad scale. The tapestry of Orlanthi culture seems to be woven upon threads of Scandinavian culture, but the warp and woof contains the threads of a variety of cultures, and the result is unique.

Guy

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To