Re: Tornadoes

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:33:39 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Andrew Barton wrote:

> > There are more tornadoes in the UK per square mile year than in the US.
>
> Source, please?
>
> When was the last time a tornado in the UK killed or injured anyone, or
> even did any property damage?
>
> If we get tornadoes at all (which was news to me), we get them the same way
> we get earthquakes.

The statistic seems to be from the met office. There are two points to bear in mind though :

  1. It only covers REPORTED tornadoes - so there may be a number of third world countries where most spouts aren't noticed by the authorities.
  2. Britain has a tiny area compared to places like USA.

Best source for this on the web appears to be www.torro.org.uk. Has reasonably complete lists of all such events in the last six years - and yes, most of them are relatively minor.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net