Re: mythical landscape and critters.

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:40:11 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Guy Hoyle wrote:

> On 10/14/00 at 12:04 AM Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> >Ah yes, but the mythical landscape of DP is pretty much the one found in
> >european mythology. My (rather scandinavian) Sartarites would regard a
> >rattlesnake as something obviously chaotic and strange.
>
> There have always been a number of non-Scandinavian influences on
> Glorantha.

Glorantha, of course! I think Glorantha is a reflection of the early myths of the whole (terran) humanity. Dragon Pass / Heortland just seems to mostly draw from scandinavian/greek/celtic myth.

> Up until the publication of G:CotHW, I never really thought of
> Dragon Pass as specifically Northern European, but more like Mycenaean
> Greece (given the Bronze Age feel of Glorantha in earlier editions).

I agree on this, and there's the obvious greek element of the Sundome Templars.

> However, the prevalence of the rather Oriental-seeming Dragons and
> dragonewts in Dragon Pass has always seemed a curious combination.

Oriental dragons are way different. The dragons of DP seem rather european.

> Similarly, the presence of Chalana Arroy and Lhankor My always seemed
> rather "advanced" for the Orlanthi; LM's "evolution" into a tribal
> lawspeaker type makes more sense to me now. The Glorantha mythscape owes
> much to RW myths, but only on a broad scale. The tapestry of Orlanthi
> culture seems to be woven upon threads of Scandinavian culture, but the
> warp and woof contains the threads of a variety of cultures, and the result
> is unique.
>
> Guy

I agree heartily. I'm just saying that American flora and fauna don't seem to fit with the orlanthi. At least not for me.

        -Adept