Re: Those Dragon Pass winters

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:06:38 -0000

me
>> winter temperatures are 50 degress F, and summer 100 >> degress Farenheit, not quite the bleak midwinter that HW implies.

> One might also point out that that is pretty old info. And I'd be
> thinking they are day-time information. Otherwise if its mean --
> that
> summer temperature cannot be an average...

tempertures are daytime maximums. Nighttime is about 60 degrees in summer , rarely above freezing in winter. No indication of how low it goes in winter, but otherwise the temperature range would indicate a temperate zone climate (just like where I live - well probably a bit more like Wales or Cumbria, London is sea level and a city).

> If you'd ever climed mountains or travelled a lot in rough terrain,
> its frightening what a few thousand feet can do for your
frostbite.

Battle valley is at 500m Nearby hills range from 800m to 1000m (six sisters) with the highest point being the finger at 1300m.

The saturated adiabatic lapse rate is approx 1.35 degrees F per 500 m (1500 feet), so its going there is not as much difference between the valley and hills due to altitiude as you think. Wind chill will be more of a factor as on the hills as you are far more exposed than in the nice sheltered valley. Inside a building this is OK but outside it may represent a life threatening problem. It is wind chill that kills more often that absolute temperature, which is why shelter is so important.

In dry air the lapse rate reaches 2.7 degrees F per 500m, but 'dry' air (i.i 0% humidity) is almost non-existant, however on a dry winters day temperatures 500 m up might fall by say 2 degrees F.

Any idea high the Quivini region is?

> The Quivini and Stormwalk mountains make a very nice rain-shadow
for
> the Praxian desert. Just ask anyone from BC or Calfornia about
> rain-shadow.

The description, I'll post it to the Hero Wars list some time soon does suggest that about one out of every 4 years in Battle valley is a drought, and yes all that precipatation will be dumped on the west side of the Quivini's as warm climbs to pass over them.

> Just looking at a few "Real World" examples. Weather and Climate
are
> much more varied than the average city dweller would think. Me? I
> spent 5 years as a field geologist experiencing 'climate modified
by
> geography' at its most vicious.

Probably been good for your 'Tough' score though :-)

Ian