Re: d&d 3e vs HW (quite off topic ;-)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:57:34 -0000

> You might as well down load it, as Call of Cthulhu has just went
> D20 so I am sure HW will not be far behind it.

Nah! we'll just by the second printing....

Actually, this needn't be a bad thing - as I read the announcement this isn't Chaosium dropping CoC (or indeed Elric, which has previously been announced) but an attempt to create a new market for their existing (and future) products. I did note that the announcement read that WotC had been granted a licence for a CoC d20 game, rather than it being an in-house Chaosium project (which, IIRC is the case with Elric...) - presumably to reassure the existing fans that the game won't be dropped.

And I was looking at Peter Maranci's RQ site earlier today to see that (a) he is not a fan of HW (although he appears to be basing this opinion off reading the three chapters released pre-publication, rather than actually playing the game...) and (b) he is impressed with D&D3 and considers it to be "Quite RQ-Like" - So while I'm not sure *I* would want to use d20 as an engine for Glorantha (although I would acyually have to look at it before being certian), I'm quite sure there are people who would. If those sales can be converted into $$$ which allow Issaries to publish more HW-Usable material, why should I care. Roll on Glorantha D20, Glorantha GURPS and Glorantha Fusion I say (but please finish the scheduled Sartar & Lunar Books first.....)