Re: More spiritual musings

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:04:15 -0000

Good Plan. I think we're all on tenterhooks waiting for Thunder Rebels, when we'll suddenly burst into life again. I haven't considered Animism all that much in depth, but I'll give it a go

> 1) Are a Shaman's bound spirits affected by the same area modifiers
> as the Shaman? For instance, the -20 Dangerous modifier for being
> in Malia's bit of the Spirit World? We said no for Earth
> (Serdrosan) or Fire (Firshalla) spirits, but yes for a Healing
> Spirit.

Are there grades between "Safe" and "Dangerous"? I think there are, and you probably ought to consider the realtionship between the Spirit and the part of the spirit world you are in. A healing Spirit ought to be *at least* as badly off as the Shaman in Malia's bit of the spirit world, since it is in a very hostile environment. Spirits of "inanimate" things (Earth, Fire...) may be at a penalty for not being in their "home realm", but not such a high penalty as the non-  Shaman.

You wouldn't really want to sit down and draw up a chart of every possible spirit in every possible bit of the Spirit world though (at least I wouldn't...) - Either work it out on a case by case basis as and when needed before the start of the session, or just assume a default of "The Same as the Shaman" and modify up or down as you see fit when the spirit is used (You should probably make a note of it at that stage for consistency...)

> 2) Movement in the Spirit World is by Spirit World Travel. What if
> you have a higher movement ability, say a bound spirit? We
> augmented SWT with the spirit.

This sounds fine as long as the "higher movement ability" is not incomaptible with SWT - and I would strongly suspect that any power coming from a spirit can't be, almost by definition! - So I would let you augment SWT with your "Run Fast" horse spirit, or your "Fly" Hawk spirit, but not your "Sprint" or "tireless runner" character descriptions.

> 3) Are ALL a Shaman's abilities affected by the Dangerous modifier?
> How about Tough, to allow a Final Action? How about Shamanic
> Escape?
> We said the lot.

I think possibly only those that are being resisted by spirits/the Spirit World - Tough would be, but "Excellent Memory" to recall what he'd been told about the spirit he's fighting wouldn't be - Shamanic Escape probably should be - that's why those dangerous places are so dangerous!

Again I think I'd assume "the lot" and be prepared to make exemptions when they came up in play, if appropriate

> 4) How do elemental spirits (like Earth Spirits, Fire Spirits,
> etc.) work in the Spirit World? Is there Earth for an Earth Spirit
> to inhabit? Or does it just 'become' a patch of earth, and perform
> as advertised anyway?

Don't know. similar to how they work in the normal world, but more "solid" ? (Hmm, can an air spirit ever be "more solid"?