Re: Re: A look into Anaxial's Roster

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:53:25 +0200

Adept:
> > It may look like a black breath, but it would be direct Deathrune
> power.

Wulf Corbett:
> So how would you run it? "Puff!" you're dead? I prefer a deadly
> poison (although I'd more likely use fire).

The black breath with Death power sounds confoundingly much like poison to me ;-) I certainly would not want to sit and try to define the difference to my players.

But that aside, I am not that fixated with fire. The idea of dragons having non-fiery breath attacks is not a Gygaxian invention, but an old (pre-romanticism? pre-christian?) schtick.

In scandinavian myths and sagas dragons (and wyrms and whatnot) with what seems to be poisonous breath or acidic drool would appear to be more common than those breathing fire. (Their saliva is often described as "burning", but I think it is meant as acid/poison "burning" rather than fiery.) But then, the scandinavian Hell is not fire & brimstone, it is dark and cold as Hel...

And in the Orient, well, Chinese dragons often live at the bottom of a well or a lake. They have many powers, but breathing fire does not seem to be particularily common.

--
Henrix