Re: Re: A look into Anaxial's Roster

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:40:10 +0100

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:46:00 +0300 (EET DST), Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_utu.fi> wrote:

>When lions and hyenas scrap it's the hyenas that end up dead. The only
>way they get lions down is ganging up on a single one.

I'm afraid you have a very out-of date view of Hyaenas, although still a widely held one. They are undoubtedly not normally aggressive, but when they decide to take a lion pride kill, they get it, whatever the numbers. Lions are not dumb enough to test their strength against the far better organised and co-operative Hyaena. Ganging up? Certainly, a definite sign of intelligence! And as for killing time, I doubt there have ever been many deaths on either side, what profit is there in risking injury against another predator? The hyaena would run off sooner than the lion - like I said, it's more intelligent.

Wulf