Re: Anaxial's Stats - DD's Grazer

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:50:08 +0100

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:39:19 +0000, Tim Ellis <tim_at_...> wrote:

>Elsewhere David Dunham offered to post us a sample Grazer Character,
>with the caveat
>
>> I'm not sure it's that illustrative an example of an animist
>>character.
>
>Go for it David, a less than perfect illustration is better than none at
>all, and it will give us a common starting point to discuss anything in
>it we either don't understand or disagree with - Wulf appears to be our
>other Animist expert here - maybe he could compare & contrast...

Well, the one thing I'd like to see from anyone else's designs is the number & strength of spirits in fetishes & integrated as talents. The average Animist (even a shaman) seems to have under a half dozen spirits, and these at a fixed strength. Now, I say 'fixed', but can a spirit's might be increased by the character, spending HP on it as though it were an ability? I think not (although talents can, clearly). So animists suffer not only from a limited selection of magic effects, and few uses of those they have, but from relatively low target numbers (most shamans, even powerful ones, are going to catch spirits around the 13-17 might range as standard fare, whereas Theists rapidly reach mastery levels, and exceed them, in 3 affinities with 3-6 feats, usable any time, all the time).

Wulf