Re: Re: animists

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:23:45 +0000

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 09:36:42 -0800, David Dunham <david_at_...> wrote:

>> Well, the one thing I'd like to see from anyone else's designs is the
>> number & strength of spirits in fetishes & integrated as talents.

>Well, you wouldn't see this from a starting character.

Well, :) I'd see how many fetishes you'd give a starting character.

>p.209 does say that 1-use fetishes can't be improved. However, it
>does imply that permanent fetishes can be improved.

Hmm... am I right in thinking you base this on the wording, saying spirits in fetishes cannot improve in might THEN, afterwards, listing the features of permanent integration (without listing the same limitation? Or am I missing more solid reasoning? Or, of course, are you thinking about talents gained from integration into the character's own body?

>This is a potential problem I'd like to know the playtest experience
>with. I think a beginning character probably wants lots of fetishes
>(for more abilities), but if they can't be raised, then talents make
>more sense over the long run.

Definitely agree here, unless the character has 15-20 fetishes, he's distinctly disadvantaged! And if he DOES have 15-20 fetishes, I can see nasty narrators requiring a roll on the character's "Fumble Around for the Right Fetish" ability...

>> low target numbers (most shamans, even powerful ones, are going to
>> catch spirits around the 13-17 might range as standard fare

>Shamans will be catching more powerful ones during play (providing
>the Narrator is willing to play out shaman encounters, which since
>they're essentially a single player's bookkeeping are kind of
>boring).

True, true... we bored everyone else just this way once in RQ :) Of course, in some animistic societies, all the tribesmen travel to the spirit world... which would be far from boring if the narrator decides to spice it up :)

>I think the example shaman on p.211 is a plausible range of
>mights -- I'm not sure why you get the low number as "standard fare"
>for a shaman. (12 is of course standard fare for tribesmen.)

I was thinking of the sort of spirits the narrator would permit to be aquired between sessions, ones that are easy enough to capture not to need playing the combat out. But there are no rules/guidelines for the number or might of a starting character shaman's spirits, I hadn't taken those to be a starting character's spirits.

>As for the limited selection, a tribesman's 5 fetish slots can at
>least change between adventures.

True, I hadn't thought of that, I was assuming the fetishes were constant, but there's no need to do so. Presumably they all have to come from within the supplying shaman's known traditions, but the boundaries of the traditions are up to the narrator.

Wulf