RE: Anaxial's Stats - DD's Grazer

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:45:55 +0800

> > So animists suffer not only from a limited selection of
>> magic effects, and few uses of those they have, but from relatively
>> low target numbers (most shamans, even powerful ones, are going to
>> catch spirits around the 13-17 might range as standard fare, whereas
>> Theists rapidly reach mastery levels, and exceed them, in 3 affinities
>> with 3-6 feats, usable any time, all the time).
>
>That dose not stop the Theists suffering serious sprit envy when you start
>racking up the Action Points. As you have proven even a 18 skill can be
>impressive when you put 30AP behind it [Frying tonight !]. Some times the AP
>the sprits provide are more useful than there ability.

        point for point, a skill bonus is almost always better than an AP bonus. And if the bonus is large, it becomes more pronounced - a 10 point skill advantage is MUCH better than a 10 AP advantage.

        Generally, this is reflected in the game - APs are 'cheaper' than skill bonuses where you get the choice. But skill bonuses remain a much better deal when the difference is large - no amount of APs will help you is you always lose the contest.

At 9:16 AM +0000 30/10/00, Wulf Corbett wrote:
>But
>for overall usefulness, theists have a distinct edge, and no matter
>how 'realistic' that is, it's limiting in game terms.

        FWIW, there was a lot of discussion during playtesting about balancing the different traditions, and some major rules changes where made on more or less that basis - however, my recollection was that during these discussions, we tended to focus on animists use of Talents rather than fetishes.

	Cheers
		David