Magical Feats: Augmenting vs. Improvised Feat

From: epweissengruber_at_...
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:40:20 -0000

Let's say in my Sun afinity I have a Feat called "Sunsword"

I understand how augmenting my regular Sword ability would work, and how to narrate it.

Just like "Ye Olde" Runequest, the augmentation is functioning like a Battle Magic spell.

"By Holy Yelm, may my blade pierce the heart of your trollish darkness" and my glowing blade does a little extra damage to the aforementioned beastie (B.T.W. would I get the bonus for Fire/Sky magic vs. Darkness?)

But lets assume that I want to use "Sunsword" itself, and use my magic for the Sun afinity to overcome the magical resistance of my target

... how do I narrate that?
... would the armor of the troll contribute to the defence, or are we
talking purely about magic?
... does the sword itself with its edges help?
... if I am engaged in an extended contest, would I resolve the use
of this feat within the contest itself, or treat it as a simple contest with a succeede/fail option for the cataclysmic effect, and then return to the contest?

Curious