Re: Magical Feats: Augmenting vs. Improvised Feat

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:11:56 +0200

epweissengruber_at_... wrote:
> But lets assume that I want to use "Sunsword" itself, and use my
> magic for the Sun afinity to overcome the magical resistance of my
> target

I'd say this is impossible. Your sunsword feat is for empowering your sword with the burning radiance of the sun. You'll still have to deliver this burning to the target... Your suggestion would be a bit using RQ3 fireblade as an ofensive spell by itself =)

If you want to use just your magic, and not your combat skills, improvise frmom your affinity. After all, you aren't tied to the feats listed... Calling a blast of burning light from your shiny shield under these circumstances shouldn't warrant too large improvisational modifiers either.

> ... how do I narrate that?

Let the player describe how he's trying to use his affinity...

> ... would the armor of the troll contribute to the defence, or
> are we talking purely about magic?

If you're ignoring melee, like I'm supposing you are, I'd say yes. Perhaps allowing a shield to be used by itself would be ok.

> ... does the sword itself with its edges help?
> ... if I am engaged in an extended contest, would I resolve the use
> of this feat within the contest itself, or treat it as a simple
> contest with a succeede/fail option for the cataclysmic effect, and
> then return to the contest?

In an extended contest this would be switching skills/goals, i.e. you keep the AP totals, the troll can still bash the player with his maul when it's his turn to attack, but the troll will have to defend with magical resistance (which might well be lower than his melee defence)...

Just my 2c