Re: Magical Feats: Augmenting vs. Improvised Feat

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:59:30 -0000

<snip>

> But lets assume that I want to use "Sunsword" itself, and use my
> magic for the Sun afinity to overcome the magical resistance of my
> target
>
> ... how do I narrate that?

One answer might be, if you can't think how to narrate it, then you can't do it - You have to say "I want to summon a blade of pure sunlight to spring from my hand and use it to slice through the creature of darkness" not "I'll use my Sunsword feat to fight the troll". In most circumstances I'd answer the latter with "How?" (making exceptions for those who obviously need help, but still encouraging a description).

> ... would the armor of the troll contribute to the defence, or are
> we talking purely about magic?

Probably

> ... does the sword itself with its edges help?

I don't think so, if you are using the magic "as is" rather than enhancing, You might enhance the magic with your Close Combat (Sword) or Vice Versa, to use your skill to help you land a more effective blow.

> ... if I am engaged in an extended contest, would I resolve the use
> of this feat within the contest itself, or treat it as a simple
> contest with a succeede/fail option for the cataclysmic effect, and
> then return to the contest?

If the Extended contest is some sort of Combat then I think it's just a case of switching skills within the contest (so your AP's stay the same, but you use the new TN. FIghting a Troll you may force it to react to the sunlight in addition to the effect of the blow (I can't remember how HW Trolls react to light, but in RQ terms, the effects of the Demoralising effect....)