Re: Two Random Questions

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 17:04:52 -0000

Fixed, I think. otherwise you could end up with too many rolls before you start, or you penalise the character with the magical sword by robbing him of a chance to augment...

> Maybe both: thus the golden griffin armor is a magical plate armor
>(e.g., rank 6) but to use its Griffin (or Gold) powers you have to
> roll its rating.

That makes sense, yes. If a magical weapon just gives an augmentation/edge then there is little advantage in giving it a roll, If it has other powers then they should get a roll (even if all they do is augment your skill) - does that make sense?

> 2) Embodied spirits. What happens to these spirits when the
> location where they're bound is destroyed? Say, what happens to a
> dryad when her tree is chopped down ("by axe, hatchet and saw")?
> Does she vanish?

She may do, "die" so to speak...

> Is she free to roam the mortal plane?

I don't think so, particularly in the case of Dryads. She may become some sort of ghost/wraith (can't recall what the proper Gloranthan term is, but you get the idea) bound to the location of her old tree though

> Or is she sucked in the spirit plane (so that in that
> plane you can find normally embodied spirits)?

This is also a possibility, though whether she would recognisably br a dryad without a tree is questionable, she may become some other sort of nature spirit that will eventually become re-embodied in a new tree (sort of "Cosmic Recycling" if you like)

It is possible that the answers are different here for different tepes of embodied spirits.