Re: Progressive Devotion

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:24:02 -0000

Probably not. I find that the advantages of the devotee are not *terribly* great, especially when one takes the time constraints into the matter.

A 10w2 requirment to become a devotee is exceedingly difficult -- this level of devotion is at the "clan or tribal champion" level. I fear that one must say again that Devotion is not being a Rune-master.

> I don't really see the problem here. The advantages and
disadvantages to
> being a devotee seem pretty balanced. If you're wondering why
everyone
> isn't a devotee, the answer is in role-playing terms, not the game

Roleplaying and time. Farmers spend more time in the fields and one has to be called. Its been said that in Heortling society that there's only abut

> mechanics. Player Heroes are the gung-ho types who don't really mind
> having cult superiors constantly sending them on dangerous missions.
In
> fact, they kind of like it that way. Most NPCs prefer a
comparatively
> sedate lifestyle, and so they remain initiates.

Or they may deal with two deities -- though I think that we will be seeing much less 'multi-classed' initiates with Thunder Rebels's onset. Many more useful Orlanth and Ernalda subcults for the 85%-ers.

> >(also possibly that god's "virtues", depending on how demanding you
want
> >the requirements; a prospective Orlanth Adventurous devotee must
then
> >also be Generous, Brave, Just, etc. to qualify a la "PenDragon
Pass")

> I think that a devotee can use the Devoted to [Deity] ability for
such
> virtues. Maybe with an improv penalty. And a bigger penalty for mere
> initiates.

Actually, many of the deities do have virtues which are a part of the keyword. I thikn that having them at a decent level is a pre-requisite for advancement.

Hope this helps,

Jeff