Re: Subject: Re: Quest Challenges

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:07:18 -0800

> > I must have misread it. I assumed the ability came through owning and
> > wearing the helm.
>
> The description in the NB is confusing. It does talk as if wearing
> the 'Helm gives that ability, clear and simple, not an ability with a
> rating.

Not all quests give specific abilities to the quester.

You have to win the quest challenge vrs Hervald's 15w3 to gain the helmet. In this particular quest you are not getting an ability, but a magical artifact. Just by putting it on, you can use any of your sight-based abilities to see through mist, smoke etc. But as David D likes to point out, you can raise the "ability" in an item and possibly learn more things about it (can you see invisible objects while wearing Hervalds Helm? possibly, maybe with a -15 penalty, which means that putting HP into "Hervald's Helm" will allow you to discover that you can do so). Like any starting ability, I'd give a 12 in Hervald's Helm to use it for things *other* than seeing through smoke. Seeing through mist and smoke does not require any sort of roll, it just happens.

A similar quest is the Goldeneye quest of the grazers, which allows a Grazer to bond with his horse - your *horse* gets the abilty (Rider Bond), not you, and if your horse is killed, you lose any benefits of it.

However, many quests *do* give you a specific ability, that is yours and yours alone and forever.

RR