Subject: Re: Random musings

From: Erik <epweissengruber_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:05:35 -0000

Perhaps my personal style is much different

> So if you are fighting a Trollkin with Close Combat 7 (Club) and
use
> your Fireblade Feat (17) to add 2 to your Close Combat 5W (Sword &
> Shield) you will have a normal contest of 7 vs 7W. If you give
> yourself a +4 edge it would be 7 vs 5W^4. But if, for some reason
> you decided to use the Fireblade feat directly (maybe you have lost
> your sword previously?)

Invoking the feat w.o. the tool?
I would not allow it.
Sorcerors have to have their talismans ... to have Orlathi who have lost their javelins screaming "mile javelin throw, mile javelin throw" is very silly.

I ain't seen it in Homer, the Vedas, or Lieber -- I ain't allowing it

the contest would be 14 vs 17. (because
> default Magic Resistance is 14. This is why it is always better to
> have the right tools for the job!)

> You beat the Trollkin and now face the Cave Troll with a Close
Combat
> of 7W. The Augmented atteacks are 7W vs 7W or 7W vs 5W^4, but
using
> the Feat directly would be 7W vs 17 (because Close Combat is
> a "sensible" ability to use to combat Fireblade used in this way,
and
> is higher than the deafult of 14).

Isn't there a HEAVY penalty for using a non-magical skill to defend against magic.

the examples from the Narrator Book seem to bear this out

> A Zorak Zoran Devotee could use the best of his "Worship Troll
> Pantheon" (or "Kygor Litor Spirit Tradition"), "Devoted to Zorak
> Zoran", "Fire Affinity" (assuming this is an afinity rather than
the
> cult secret for the sake of this argument)

Zorak Zoran and "Fire" affinity? Am I missing something? Isn't that like saying Orlanth's "Chaos" affinity?

or "Close Combat"
-- yes, but at a monstrous penalty, no?