Re: Subject: Re: Quest Challenges

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:16:03 +0000

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> In this particular quest you are not getting an ability, but a magical
> artifact. Just by putting it on, you can use any of your sight-based
> abilities to see through mist, smoke etc. But as David D likes to point out,
> you can raise the "ability" in an item and possibly learn more things about
> it

I agree; this is how I run all magic items.

> I'd give a 12 in Hervald's Helm to use it for things *other* than seeing
> through smoke.

IMG I'd give the quester a 15w3 (or whatever) Hervald's Helm artefact. Its name becomes a slightly ambiguous reference. Improvisational modifiers (probably hefty) apply for seeing invisible objects, etc.

I prefer it that way: heroquest artefacts are essentially no different from other magic items.

> Seeing through mist and smoke does not require any sort of
> roll, it just happens.

IMG it happens with a 15W3 (or whatever) ability. As good as 'it just happens' for most mist and smoke.