Re: Subject: Re: Random musings

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:40:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Erik wrote:

> Invoking the feat w.o. the tool?
> I would not allow it.
> Sorcerors have to have their talismans ... to have Orlathi who have
> lost their javelins screaming "mile javelin throw, mile javelin
> throw" is very silly.

Quite right - the feat is THROW javelin, therefore you need a javelin to throw, or suffer outrageous negative modifiers. (I'm with Phil on this, never say "no" when you can say "-50".) However the feat under discussion was fire blade, not turn sword fiery. It seems perfectly legitimate to use this to create the blade in the first place.

Perhaps a compromise is to do a simple contest of fireblade feat vs. normal resistance, and if the hero wins, he has a sword he can use normally. A complete victory might give extra edges or some such.

> I ain't seen it in Homer, the Vedas, or Lieber -- I ain't allowing it

This seems unneccessarily narrow. And anyway, fantasy literature and mythology is full of people praying to their gods for a weapon with which to smite their foes.

> Isn't there a HEAVY penalty for using a non-magical skill to defend
> against magic.
>
> the examples from the Narrator Book seem to bear this out

That would be legitimate, unless the skill really was appropriate. So, using brave to defend against fear magic, I probably wouldn't penalise. Likewise, using close combat to defend against a magical fiery sword seems reasonable - the attack is more physical than magical anyway.

> > A Zorak Zoran Devotee could use the best of his "Worship Troll
> > Pantheon" (or "Kygor Litor Spirit Tradition"), "Devoted to Zorak
> > Zoran", "Fire Affinity" (assuming this is an afinity rather than
> the
> > cult secret for the sake of this argument)
>
> Zorak Zoran and "Fire" affinity? Am I missing something? Isn't that
> like saying Orlanth's "Chaos" affinity?

You are missing something - Zorak Zoran is the stealer of fire, and therefore should have some sort of relationship to it.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net