Re: Quest Challenges

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:23:38 +0100

Egroups apparently doesn't like me, it truncated my posting AGAIN...

Anyway , you've seen what I was replying to twice now, here's what I had to say about it:

It is? If you mean Hervald's Helm then NB p. 47 sure looks to me like both parties are using an ability. Of course, the hero who wins takes home an item (the helm) rather than getting an innate ability, but in HW items are abilities too. BTW, I would think that even if the challenge was over a skill, the quester could still choose to give it to his community rather than keeping it for himself.

It's a completely different matter that the example of play never explains where Rurik gets the 90 AP from. ;-)

In somewhat the same thread, Steven White opines:

>> But I still don't understand how Rurik is supposed to win the quest
>> challenge against 15w3 with 10w2 or whatever his Boast is? In the
>> example, he doesn't use any of his ritual bonuses to augment the
>> skill...
>
>It's the player character skill known as:
> I bludgeon it to death with a heropoint!*

Which will most often result in a critical vs. a critical. So the outcome depends on how the Narrator interprets such a result. If she says "nothing happens" then the player hero will lose when he runs out of HP. If she says something like "both forfeit 1x" then the hero can take a gamble on staking most of the (in this case) 90 AP that he has to have to even be allowed on the quest. Wherever they're coming from.

But of course, in this particular example, Rurik's Boast has to be at 10w4, so it's an easy win anyway. ;-)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Game Masters are not gods.
They just tell them what to do.